A Connection in History

A Connection in History
At the Corcoran Gallery of Art

Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Real No Impact Man

For Sunday Evening 5 December 2010

Up from the valley walking walking walking ... It's 0645 hours Saturday morning ... schedules to keep ...
there's an overturned car at the top of the Portage Path hill ... the police have blocked off the road.

A beautiful morning sky as I walked through Hardesty Park enroute to the Caribou for morning coffee and oatmeal.

The 805 bus - on time and voila - let the day begin. By 1400 hours I closed down the store and folded my coat for a nap on one of the desks in the back; by 1500 hours refreshed and ready for the bike ride home along the valley trail.

Even though it's 30 degrees, the wind ... brrrr; but inspired me to pedal even faster; mud flying all over me.
There are a few runners and dog walkers, otherwise a quiet ride home.

The air is thinner and I have to stop a few times along the way to catch my breathe.

Flowing quite rapidly is the Cuyahoga River; woosh - and soon I pass the site of what I believe is the birthplace of Joseph Brandt - Mohawk Indian who later in life allied himself with the British. Gilbert Stuart painted his portrait when they were both in London.

With no car, and no driver's license - I'm left to my ingenuity in getting from here to there. I will not be brought down to the depths of despair that are so much a part of instituions of our society. I will not.

Home for dinner - tomato soup, broccoli, carrots, and hamburger - I am nourished.

Time to read - focusing exclusively, of late, on Eric Metaxes' book about Dietrich Bonhoeffer.

It's cold in the basement - but with a cup of tea, and my book - all is well.

Have spoken to many about Sarah Palin and am rather astonished by the vehemence of their opposition to her candidacy for President. But, in reading Stephen Mansfield and David Holland's book about her, I am more convinced than ever of the value of her being our President.

The fervor of her religious values - a foundation to her existence - I think her belief in God and Jesus Christ frighten people., even among more well-heeled Republicans. It reminds me of a segment from Dr. Zhivago where the character played by Rod Stieger portraying Victor Komarovsky speaks to a high mindedness that is an object of admiration when, in fact, the attribute is actually detested by the population.

And while the Governor doesn't overtly speak to her beliefs - we just know.

Similarly - a Presysterian minister, now deceased, once said in 1978 - "When you walk do people know you are a Christian?"

Reaching out in my opinion in 1966 - I was subject to some criticism; but later to be proven right. Let us thoughfully consider her candidacy.

Up early in the AM - pancake breakfast - and a walk for the morning newspaper - it's worth every penny I have to get quality news in the morning.

More reading and writing in the book - it's slowly getting down - names and events just keep popping into my head.

As the week unfolds - more book writing; coming to terms with the despotic ways of institutions; a play in Cleveland on Tuesday night; and a luncheon speech in Cleveland on Friday.

The support structure that well knows of my circumsatnce is invaluable - and each person who helps along the way I owe so much.

A cold week ahead - long johns and my Berchtesgaden boots.

But walking forever forward ... with vigor.

No comments:

Post a Comment